Wednesday, 4 March 2015

Ace Your Base



Just like finding the perfect basic tee, creating a flawless base sets up for the perfect outfit... or shall I say makeup look.

When I first started with makeup I never used a primer and looking back now I'm seriously shaking my head. Although it's not an absolute essential step it definitely makes a world of difference! Your pores will be minimised, your foundation will glide on like a dream and when you look in the mirror at 6pm you won't get too much of a shock. There are copious amounts of primers that target all different concerns. I personally opt for a primer that reduces redness like the Stilla One Step primer and all I can say is my skin doesn't look remotely the same without it!

When I think of the ideal base, I think fresh and flawless. I want to only correct concerns and then let the rest of my skin shine through. My philosophy is less is more when it comes to a base, a light to medium coverage foundation layered with a good concealer on troublesome areas is all you need! I would usually go for a medium coverage foundation like the Chanel Vitalumier Aqua and for concealer I'm a Nars Creamy Concealer enthusiast! A brightening concealer like Maybelline's Instant Age Rewind Eraser Dark Circle Concealer does wonders in making me look less like a zombie and more like someone who is ready to take on the day! Look for an under eye concealer with a pink base to brighten or a yellow base to colour correct and terminate those dark circles for good!

The application of your makeup makes a whopping difference too! Using hands is great because it's no hassle and the warmth of your fingers helps to melt the foundation into your skin for a no makeup 'makeup' look. For thicker foundations brushes or a sponges are your best friends!! A duo fibre brush will give you a gorgeous airbrush glow, the classic foundation brush will give you a silky satin finish, the flat top kabuki brush will allow you to build up to a fuller coverage and a good old sponge will sheer out any foundation.

A tiny bit of powder goes a long way in keeping your foundation shine free and looking great throughout the day. If you don't like to powder or you've over done it with powder, a setting spray will save the day! I also find allowing time for my moisturiser to sink in and then blotting any excess product before layering on my foundation does wonders to keep shine at bay. At the moment I'm completely obsessed with the Ambiant Lighting Powder in Dim Light, it sets my makeup without taking away that dewy glow!

Now that you have aced your base you can choose your accessories or shall I say blush, eyeshadow and lipstick and then you can rock your gorgeous makeup look! Your skin will look flawless and the rest of your makeup will too!!

Jessica-Lee



24 comments:

  1. I'm desperate to find something that conceals my dark circles. I've had too many Netflix binges haha. I love that tray you're using to hold your products. It's so pretty

    www.sophieslittlesecrets.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Same, far too many nights binging on my favourite tv series! Thanks :) I really appreciate your comment xoxo

      Delete
  2. I am not a big primer girl. I go heavy with my moisturizer and have not found a primer that does a better job then my moisturizer does! (Finishing sprays are my best friend for the longevity of my makeup) I never tried the Stila one, how does it compare to the Hourglass veil (if you tried it)?
    RachelShuchatMakeup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find my face tends to get a bit shiny and that why I think a primer is beneficial :) I used to do the exact same and layer the moisturiser and it worked fine but I ended up a little oily. I haven't tried the Hourglass Mineral Veil but I love the Stila One Step because I have a lot of redness and sallow tones and I find it brightens and reduces redness like no other! I would recommend you giving it a go :) I've also used the Smashbox ones and think they are awesome too! xo

      Delete
  3. I love your blog, we can follow gfc if you want ¿tell me to know, kisses

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, your blog is great :) I followed you on google plus! Thanks for your comment xo

      Delete
  4. I've been umming and ahhing about buying the Nars' creamy concealer recently, you've sold it to me - I think I'm gonna have to bite the bullet!

    Happy Friday, crazy cat!

    Daisy x / www.daisybloomingjane.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it because it's soo forgiving! It's very difficult to go wrong with this concealer as it's creamy enough for under the eyes, you can conceal large areas without it going cakey and it's superb at hiding those nasty spots! I can definitely say I'm a big fan! xo

      Delete
  5. I love the look of the stile one step primer, I am becoming such a primer hoarder at the moment, I definitely don't need a new one but one more can't hurt.

    Ooh La Luce | Beauty, Life, Fashion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I'm a primer hoarder too and that last line is what I tell myself every time :p This primers an interesting one, I like how it seems to colour correct all different concerns in one! Thanks for your comment xo

      Delete
  6. Haha, I also swear by the Maybelline concealer when I've got the zombie-look going on - it really does work wonders!


    http://la-fille-lumineuse.blogspot.de/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does! I even got my mum loving it! I think it's such a great drugstore concealer and I personally think it does better than 90% of higher end under eye concealers. Thanks a lot for your comment xoxo

      Delete
  7. Hello, I liked your post, and I like your style. Would you like to follow us to each other? let me know

    Sibaritismosdeinma

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loving your blog :)

    maireem.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, I really appreciate it :) I just checked out your blog is it's absolutely awesome ^_^ xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm on the search for a good setting spray !! Great post :)

    Wonderlandstaves.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the Urban Decay All Nighter Setting Spray :) Thanks a lot xoxo

      Delete
  11. Great post! I have to say I often skip the primer step oops haha x

    http://gingerphoebe.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phoebe :) It's not totally essential but I find everything just goes alot smoother with a primer! Thanks for your comment xoxo

      Delete
  12. I used to wear MAC Prep & Prime primer, but after I finished up the bottle, I totally skip the step and couldn't be bothered to purchase it again! I guess the "boring" bits of makeup are usually the most important haha. Might just pick up the Stila primer soon! :p

    xx
    www.curlsandmints.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, primers aren't the most exciting to repurchase! I would much rather a new lipstick :p I highly recommend it! Thanks a lot for your comment xo

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. Thanks :) I'm slightly obsessed with anything copper atm! Thanks a lot for your comment xoxo

      Delete

BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS